- You are Here:
View all facilities
Star State Company, Number 3 Fire House
- Built circa 1903.
- The City of Galveston established a volunteer fire company in 1841. The Star State Company Number 3 was incorporated by city ordinance in October of 1859. Located at 2512 Church, the Star State Company’s first permanent structure was built in 1860. This structure served the Company until it was destroyed in the 1900 Storm. Following the 1900 storm, the current structure was erected in 1903 and was occupied by the Fire Department until it was decommissioned in the 1960s.
- In 1959, the station became the first in the city to be integrated.
- Significant exterior alterations have occurred to the building including the removal of decorative features and the application of stucco over the original brickwork. The decorative elements such as the parapet and the balcony over the central door were most likely lost due to damage caused by the 1915 hurricane. The stucco veneer was applied between 1948 and 1951.